Saturday, May 18, 2013

Dia Uno

Wow! So many things happened yesterday. I woke up in Myrtle Beach and crashed into bed in Costa Rica. We were able to experience so much yesterday that I have never experienced anywhere else. I have flown many times before but for some reason flying to another country made me feel very anxious. Luckily, my friend Carolyn happened to be seated next to me on the plane. Once in Costa Rica, I already felt the struggles of not knowing the primary language. When going through customs, I kept having to ask for questions to be repeated and felt very embarrassed. We got through customs and then met our WONDERFUL guide, Justin, who took us to eat at this place called Super Snacks. To be honest, I thought it was going to be like a little convenience store or something but it was a really, really good restaurant and I had the most delicious pineapple drink. I am slowly remembering more and more Spanish, which is awesome.

After lunch, we went to the bank to exchange our money for colones. I have never felt so awkward. This bank has a very different procedure than any of ours in the states. There are a whole lot more security measures. We went to this little market after the bank and I ate the most delicious fruit! I cannot believe how fresh the fruit is here, and the fact that there was watermelon, starfruit, melons, strawberries and more, or sandía, carambola, melón, fresas y mucho más in one location. I tried this one fruit that was called anona and it was nothing like I've ever had before. It had the texture of a banana, the taste of a coconut, the seeds of a watermelon and the peel of an orange. It was so so good.


After the market, we went back to check into our hotel for the next two nights, well one night now. I have two roommates and our room has an AMAZING view. There is this amazing garden that is right outside our window. My roommates and I felt the struggles of being in a new place trying to find the way out to the garden. We had to ask at least 3 people and on the last try, we finally got the right answer but it was time to meet with the group for dinner. Now, it is time to get ready for our excursion to La Paz! I'll post more pictures tonight with the waterfall!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment